What is the virtual Long Walk Home?
Long Walk Home is a fundraising walk raising money for Wayside Chapel and sponsored by NRMA Insurance, PWC and Salesforce. It launched in 2019 as a live event where 500 participants walked the 28km from Parramatta to Kings Cross. For safety reasons due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year Long Walk Home is virtual and encouraging participants to walk 28km over a week from Monday, 26 October to Sunday 1 November in paths of their own choosing, either as a solo challenge or with another person. Please note that all participants will need to follow any COVID-19 restrictions that apply at the time.
How it works
- Sign up to walk 28km from 26 October – 1 November
- Choose to walk solo or create a virtual team with friends, family or colleagues
- Complete the challenge in one day, over the week or however you choose
- Log in and track your kilometres via your fundraising page
- Track your progress to reach your 28km goal
- Reach out to your networks to achieve your fundraising goal, or just update them on your progress
- Feel good about yourself, knowing that you have walked in the shoes of people experiencing homelessness and have walked in solidarity with them
In an average week, a person sleeping rough walks a distance of 28km looking for a place to sleep. This is the reality for some of the 116,000* people who are sleeping rough in Australia.
That is why we are asking participants to spread out their walking over a week to truly put themselves in the shoes of people experiencing homelessness. You can choose to walk 4km a day over the week, walk it in parts over a few days, or walk it all in one go.
*ABS Census 2016
How much to register?
Long Walk Home 2019 is FREE to enter, and is open to anyone who can participate. We encourage all participants to raise awareness, and help raise much-needed funds for Wayside Chapel so that they can continue to provide support to the people experiencing homelessness.
We encourage all individual participants to aim to raise $500 through sponsorships on their fundraising page.
However please note, this event is 18+.
You can register here
How many people can you have in a team?
This year, there are unlimited numbers of people who can be on a team! This means you can fundraise and walk in (virtual) solidarity together. Please note, throughout the live week of Oct 26 -1 Nov, participants will need to follow COVID-19 regulations of your state for health and safety and to abide all laws.
How do I join a team?
To join a team, select the Team option in the first stage of the registration process. If you have created an individual profile but later want to join a team, you can simply search for the person or team on the homepage by clicking “Find a fundraiser or team” and typing in the team name or name of a person in that team.
How much money do I need to raise?
We encourage all individual participants and teams to aim to raise $500 (per person) through sponsorships on their fundraising page.
What does my fundraising go towards?
All money raised will go to Wayside Chapel, an iconic charity organisation who care and support people experiencing challenges such as homelessness, addiction, social isolation and mental health challenges.
What if I can't fundraise?
We understand that because of COVID-19, many people are in a difficult financial position. This year, we have lowered the fundraising goal to $500, and encourage you to reach out to your networks and fundraise to reach your goal, if you can. If you are not comfortable with fundraising, you are still welcome to participate in walking over the week of Oct 26 – 1 Nov.
Do I have to walk 28km at once?
It's completely up to you how you want to take the challenge. You are welcome to conquer the Long Walk Home in one go, walking 28km over one day or night. It’s completely up to you how you want to take the challenge. Don’t forget to log your KM’s on your Long Walk Home dashboard with Strava, FitBit or manually.
How to track your progress?
You can record your distance for Virtual Long Walk Home either through Strava, Fitbit or MapMyFitness apps (Method 1) or, if you prefer, you can add your distance manually (Method 2).
Login to first get started
#1 – Fitness App
- Download Fitbit, Strava or MapMyFitness app and set up your account
- Login to your Long Walk Home dashboard and select ‘Log My Fitness Activity’
- Select your chosen app at ‘Connect your preferred Fitness app’ and follow the instructions on screen
- When you start each walk, select 'Start your workout' in the app on your phone. Once you stop and save your workout your distance will be published your page (this can take up to 24 hours)
#2 – Manual
- If you are using the pedometer on your phone or other device rather than a fitness app, you can add your distance to your fundraising page manually:
- Login to your dashboard and select ‘Log My Fitness Activity’
- Under ‘Add Activity’, enter the date and distance…that’s it!
How/when do I get a Long Walk Home t-shirt?
When you hit $260 in your fundraising, you will receive your Long Walk Home t-shirt to wear with pride. Please note that these will be dispatched on the 2 October and then again on 16 October. Long Walk Home T-shirts are also available to buy for those who can't fundraise. Please get in touch at email@example.com for more details.
Can I log my KMs before Long Walk Home?
Yes! You can practice using Strava, FitBit or Manual Entry before the week of Monday 26 October to 1 November and add progress to your fundraising page. Please note, all training progress BEFORE 26 November will be wiped clean midnight Monday 26 October, as we want to see your progress throughout the actual week of Long Walk Home.
See an example of how tracking progress on your fundraising page looks here.